Postdoc position at the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS Potsdam), in the Research Group on Climate Geoengineering.
The successful applicant will build on and expand the Climate Engineering in Context (CEC) conference series that IASS has been hosting since 2014. The postdoc will work collaboratively with the other members of the research group to combine research on the problem framings, scope, and terms of debate that dominate discussions of the science, politics, and ethics of climate geoengineering, with the design and implementation of innovative, transdisciplinary formats for convening inclusive discussions that work against a premature narrowing-down of questions, perspectives, and modes of deliberation in this highly consequential and controversial field.
The resulting insights will be actively disseminated to help foster more expansive engagements with technologies for managing the planetary environment across diverse communities, standpoints, and moral imaginations, and to inform public discussion and political decision-making.
The postdoc will work under the guidance of the research group leader Dr. Stefan Schäfer and IASS scientific director Prof. Dr. Mark Lawrence.
Applicants are expected to hold adoctoral degree. Competitive candidates will have experience inworking with conceptsfrom science and technology studies, a successful research record including the proven ability to publish in peer reviewed journals, and experience in balancing intellectual and organizational work.
- Design, implement and evaluate transdisciplinary events, with the support of the IASS events and press & communications teams
- Manage event budgets in close coordination with the research group leader
- Lead the preparation of peer reviewed publications
- Foster exchange and collaborations with national and international partners
- Supervise student assistants
- Further develop and maintain the project website
- Support the research group leader, for example in the preparation of third-party funding proposals
- Disseminate project findings at workshops and conferences
- Participate in meetings and activities of the Climate Engineering research group, and in IASS events
You can find the full offer here: Post Doc