The Institute for Biomedical Ethics at the University of Basel (IBMB), Switzerland (http://ibmb.unibas.ch/), is dedicated to research and teaching of biomedical ethics at the Medical and Science Faculties. We are currently looking for a dynamic and independent graduate student (Master’s degree) or medical doctors who are interested in carrying out their PhD work in biomedical ethics or bioethics.
This call is for “open-track” project, where the applicant can choose his or her doctoral thesis topic. The student will be chosen based on the qualifications below as well as the topic chosen by the student that best fits the research profile of the IBMB. We are specifically looking, among others, for a candidate with a double background in computer science (e.g. blockchain, machine learning) and ethics.
Position Available starting: Spring 2022 (position may begin earlier in late 2021 based on agreement)
Length of PhD Program: 3 years
PhD Salary: In accordance with SNSF doctoral salary guideline
- Master’s degree in (computer) science, philosophy, law, bioethics, medicine, and other related fields.
- Excellent language skills in English and German
- Ability to speak and understand French is highly desirable.
- Outstanding Master’s and Bachelor’s academic grades.
- Enthusiasm, responsibility and interest in an academic career.
- Ability to design and implement the project he/she designs.
We offer you
- Enrolment in a Swiss Bologna accredited PhD Program in Bioethics, Health Policy and Legal medicine.
- Student will complete empirical methods courses as part of the PhD Program in order to successfully conduct their PhD Project.
- Student will also have the possibility to contribute to the academic life at the IBMB, including contributions to teaching.
- The student is expected to support the professor as research assistant and contribute towards other research projects and academic publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Environment: The University of Basel is the oldest Swiss university with a long tradition in ethics and the humanities. It has a long-standing reputation in outstanding research and teaching. Doctoral candidates at the University come from many international countries providing a vibrant and rich community. More information about the University is available at https://www.unibas.ch/en/University/About-University.html. The city of Basel is a global centre for biomedical research with major academic institutions and research departments of leading life science companies. Basel is a multicultural city and ranks among the best in terms of quality of life.