You want to help shape the transformation to the bioeconomy and the agro-food system?
You want to do independent research and work on a PhD?
You enjoy working as part of a team, want to expand your professional network and accompany what is happening internationally in terms of policy in the bioeconomy?
Then send us your application and seize this opportunity to work on addressing the technological, economic, social and political challenges in the bioeconomy in a dynamic research environment.
What you will do
- You will do a PhD in the doctoral program at Fraunhofer ISI, which is based on a four-year contract. Writing your dissertation takes place at the intersection of project work and your own independent research with a strong focus on current issues in applied research.
- You will work mainly in an EU Horizon Europe Project on shaping governance in the bioeconomy (SHAPING BIO -Shaping the future bioeconomy across sectoral, governmental and geographical levels). This project is coordinated by Fraunhofer ISI and conducted in collaboration with nine European partners. Among other things, you will analyze vertical and horizontal policy coordination in the bioeconomy and contribute to developing proposals to improve the conditions for innovations in the European bioeconomy and agro-food system.
- In addition, you will work on other projects on socio-economic and policy issues within the fields of bioeconomy and agriculture/food.
What you bring to the table
- You already have a very good academic university degree (Master) in political science, economics, social sciences or a comparable field of study.
- You have experience or a strong interest in the bioeconomy and/or the agro-food system.
- You also have experience or are especially interested in innovation and transformation processes.
- You are very interested in working in and contributing to application-oriented research projects in interdisciplinary teams.
- You must have good written and spoken German and very good written and spoken English language skills, and must be able to present your research results in a convincing manner, both in writing and orally.
What you can expect
- The doctoral program at Fraunhofer ISI has close links to the research topics and projects of the Competence Center. It consists of an orientation phase and the subsequent dissertation phase.
- Support and mentoring: Our doctoral candidates are supported right from the start with in-house mentoring as well as a wide range of further training and education opportunities. Regular colloquia encourage an intensive exchange of information and experience among the PhD students, experienced researchers and supervisors. Direct mentoring guarantees focused work on the PhD topic.
- Working as a team: You work independently and take on responsibility in highly motivated teams. Our flat hierarchy promotes our employees’ autonomous approach to work.
- Infrastructure: Our workplaces are equipped with the latest technology.
- Personal development: We help you to advance both your career and your personal development through extensive and targeted training and career programs.
- Compatibility of work and family life: A good work-life balance is important to our employees. Fraunhofer ISI offers flexible working hours and the opportunity for telework. To support you, we have cooperation agreements with childcare facilities close to the institute as well as offering emergency childcare and homecare/eldercare.
- Equal opportunities and diversity: Different experiences and backgrounds are the driving force behind creative ideas and concepts and thus for innovations. We consider diversity to be an enrichment for the work at Fraunhofer. We try to make our teams as balanced as possible – made up of different genders, age groups, cultures, and disciplines.
The position is limited to 4 years. The weekly working time is 39 hours and then part-time in line with the doctoral program. We value and promote the diversity of our employees’ skills and therefore welcome all applications – regardless of age, gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion, ideology, disability, sexual orientation and identity. Severely disabled persons are given preference in the event of equal suitability. Appointment, remuneration and social security benefits based on the public-sector collective wage agreement (TVöD). Additionally Fraunhofer may grant performance-based variable remuneration components.
With its focus on developing key technologies that are vital for the future and enabling the commercial utilization of this work by business and industry, Fraunhofer plays a central role in the innovation process. As a pioneer and catalyst for groundbreaking developments and scientific excellence, Fraunhofer helps shape society now and in the future.
Application Deadline: 01/15/2023
More information can be found here.