Starting at the earliest date possible and preliminarily limited to 36 months, the Institute for Language, Media and Music Studies, Department of Media Studies of the Faculty of Art is seeking a Research associate (65%).
The position is assigned to the professorship of Digital Media Culture in the Department of Media Studies and is part of the project “4D Imaging: From Image Theory to Image Practice” within the priority program “The Digital Image” (funded by the German Research Foundation).
• carry out independent scientific research in the sub-project “Live Performance in 4D”, in particular reflecting the use of 4D imaging as a new form of digital visuality which entangles image, action and space (esp. virtual reality) in the field of digital cultural production (theatre, performance, dance, concert, etc.). See also information about the (sub-)project: https://www.medienwissenschaft.uni-bonn.de/abteilung/team-1/kathrinfriedrich
• produce a PhD thesis on the topic through research in the project
• participate in interdisciplinary cooperation with project staff of the second sub-project “Learning to see the body” (PI Dr. Moritz Queisner) at Charité Berlin as well as in the DFG-SPP “The digital image” (https://www.digitalesbild.gwi.uni-muenchen.de/en/homepage-englisch/).
• organise and implement project-specific events
• University degree (MA or equivalent) in media studies or a similar discipline (cultural studies, art history or science and technology studies, etc.) with a focus on media research
• PhD project in the field of digital media culture, preferably with a focus on 4D imaging/virtual reality, performance studies, XR in cultural production
• Knowledge in the field of theory, history and analysis of digital media culture, preferably with a focus on image and media theories of the digital, ethnographic methods or interdisciplinary media research
• Experience in organizing events is advantageous
• Very good knowledge of German and English
• Independent, self-reliant and team-oriented way of working
• a varied and challenging position with one of the biggest employers in the area
• opportunity to pursue a PhD
• development of an independent research portfolio
• collaboration in a cooperative team
• participation in the university-wide pension system (VBL)
• access to the extensive university sports program
• an excellent transport infrastructure with the opportunity to obtain a discounted employee ticket for public transportation (VRS) or to use assigned, affordable parking
• the opportunity to part-time work from home
• a salary based on the 13 TV-L scale
The University of Bonn is committed to diversity and equal opportunity. It is certified as a family-friendly university. It aims to increase the proportion of women in areas where women are under-represented and to promote their careers in particular. It therefore urges women with relevant qualifications to apply. Applications will be handled in accordance with the Landesgleichstellungsgesetz (State Equality Act). Applications from suitable individuals with a certified serious disability and those of equal status are particularly welcome.
If you are interested in (filling) this position, please send your complete application documents (incl. summary of the thesis (1-2 pages) and, if applicable, exposé of the PhD project) as one pdf-file by 18.12.2022 to Silke Baumgarten: firstname.lastname@example.org with the application code 103/22/3.202. For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Kathrin Friedrich: email@example.com.
More information can be found here.