The Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn is an international research university that offers a wide range of degree programs. With 200 years of history, about 35,000 students, over 6.000 employees, and an excellent domestic and international reputation, Bonn University is among Germany’s leading universities.
Starting as soon as possible for a duration of 36 months, the Center for Life Ethics and the Institut für
Wissenschaft und Ethik is seeking
two Research Associates (100%)
The Institut für Wissenschaft und Ethik (IWE) is a Central Research Unit of the University of Bonn. Its core objectives are to contribute to ethical reflections of current developments in robotics and artificial intelligence, neurotechnologies, sustainability, and the climate crisis. The team works closely with experts in political science, agriculture, and economics.
The research, teaching, and consulting activities of the newly founded Center for Life Ethics (CLE) focus on life and the conditions for its unfolding and flourishing. In particular, the four dynamics of technologization, economization, ecologization and globalization put individual and social life under great pressure to adapt, change and shape. At the center, these four dynamics and the related ethical aspects are researched in a transdisciplinary way.
To be a part of a team of researchers working at the intersection of the IWE and the CLE. These institutions are at the core of a wider interdisciplinary initiative to address pressing ethical, legal and societal issues related to digital technologies and the climate crisis.
- Participation in group research projects at the intersection of ethics and other disciplines,
- Being part of an interdisciplinary writing team for an application of a large-scale third-party grant,
- Production of high-quality publications in the relevant fields,
- Support of research, teaching and administration at the CLE or IWE,
- Organization of conferences and workshops.
- A PhD or nearly completed in one of the following or related fields: Applied Ethics, Law, Political Science, Sociology, Philosophy, Science and Technology Studies or Gender Studies,
- Native speaker, or proficient command of the English language,
- Experience with raising third-party funds, e.g. proposal writing and process management for DFG funds, ERC funds, private foundations, German Excellence initiative/strategy,
- Motivated, flexible, team-oriented and interested in continued professional development.
- Opportunities for individual research,
- A varied and challenging position with one of the biggest employers in the area, in an international, interdisciplinary research environment,
- Participation in the university-wide pension system (VBL),
- Access to the extensive university sports program,
- An excellent transport infrastructure with subsidized travel for university employees,
- A dedicated and motivated team,
- A salary based on the German 13 TV-L scale.
More information can be found here. The application deadline is the 08.04.2022.