The Faculty of Social and Cultural Sciences at the European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder) invites applications for the position of a
W1 Professorship in Digital Studies (Tenure Track with possibility of advancement to W2)
The Professorship is funded by the Tenure Track Program of the German Federal Government and the Federal States (Bund-Länder-Programm zur Förderung des wissenschaftlichen Nachwuchses) and will be located at the European New School of Digital Studies, starting in the winter semester 2022/23.
The European New School of Digital Studies (ENS) is an inter- and transdisciplinary joint academic venture of the European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder) (EUV) and the Adam Mickiewicz University Poznan (AMU). It connects a strong background in economics, law, social studies and humanities at Viadrina with excellence in computer science and engineering at AMU. ENS scholars and students focus on understanding and reflexively shaping the interrelationship between Europe- an society and digital technologies. The ENS is located at the Collegium Polonicum, a joint German-Polish academic institution which is being maintained by the EUV and the AMU and which aims at cross-border and forward-looking cooperation in research and teaching in the European twin city Frankfurt (Oder)–Słubice.
The professorship is expected to widening the thematic focus of ENS while adding to its core research questions. We invite applicants with a background in cultural sciences, who especially follow a historical, theoretical and/or empirical approach with regard to digital media and cultures.
The ideal candidate:
- holds an outstanding PhD in humanities or cultural sciences;
- has a promising profile in an inter- and transdisciplinary are of Digital Studies, specifically in fields such as History and Archeology of Digital Media, Critical Data / Algorithm / Software Studies or Digital Science & Technology Studies;
- connects her or his research with European cultures, politics and/or societies;
- develops a convincing research and teaching concept which provides ideas of how to further develop the scientific profile of ENS;
- can show a record of university classes or equivalent taught in English.
The ideal candidate should further:
- be interested in cooperation with colleagues from Central and Eastern Europe, and especially with the AMU;
- possess gender and diversity competence in research and teaching.
The professorship is supposed to integrate in the existing programs and modules provided by ENS, for example the BA Cultural and Social Studies specialization on “Digital Society”, the MA Digital Entrepreneurship (MoDE) and the structured graduate program “Digital Transformations in, for and by Europe”. It should also make an important contribution to the planned MA program in Science, Technology, and Society. German language proficiency is not required, however, we expect the successful candidate to be able to constructively participate in meetings held in German within two years after appointment. The university’s language center offers German language courses.
The advertisement specifically addresses researchers in an early stage of their career. Candidates who already fulfil the requirements for a W2/W3 professorship according to § 41 (1) No. 4a BbgHG cannot be considered for this position.
Please submit applications in English language with complete documentation (CV, research and teaching statement, copies of certificates or other proof of qualifications, teaching evaluations etc.), quoting the Ref. No. 1300-22-01, to:
Europa Universität Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder) Dekanin der Kulturwissenschaftlichen Fakultät Frau Prof. Dr. Annette Werberger
Closing date for applications: 25.03.2022