Doctoral student (f/m/d): Remuneration group 13 TV-L with 65% of the regular working hours for a period of three years in the field of “Imaginaries of AI in Germany, USA, and China”.
The Centre for Media, Communication and Information Research (ZeMKI) at the University of Bremen offers—under the condition of job release—a three-year doctoral position to be based in the Lab “Platform Governance, Media, and Technology” with Prof. Dr. Christian Katzenbach. The position is available as of the next possible date.
The PhD student (f/m/d) will contribute to the international project “Imaginaries of Artificial Intelligence: Describing and Explaining the Communicative Construction of AI Imaginaries in a Comparative Perspective” (funded by the DFG and the SNF) with the Lab director and other team members, as well as writing a doctoral thesis.
- Contributions to all phases of the project “Imaginaries of AI”.
- Carrying out empirical sub-studies in the project: qualitative interviews and document analyses, social media and media analyses.
- Writing a dissertation in the project’s thematic field.
- Co-organisation of events and project processes.
- Contributions to conferences and publications.
- Participation in the ZeMKI doctoral programme.
- Above-average academic degree (master’s/diploma) in communication and/or media studies or comparable degrees that show aptitude for working on a doctorate in the aforementioned field.
- Initial knowledge in the research field of digitalisation and/or artificial intelligence.
- Experience with empirical research, ideally with both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Very good knowledge of German and English (for conducting qualitative analyses).
- High level of commitment and initiative, ability to organise and work in a team, careful and reliable working style.
Applications should include the following documents:
- Cover letter (1-2 pages).
- Short research statement (approx. 2 pages), in which you characterise your own research interests, perhaps articulate initial ideas for a doctoral topic and relate them to the project topic or the research profile of the Lab or the Lab director.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Copies of your academic transcripts.
- Two writing samples (article/contribution, MA thesis).
Please send your application, quoting the reference number A177/21, by September 3rd, 2021 to the
University of Bremen
Prof. Dr. Christian Katzenbach
Linzer Str. 4
or as a PDF (single file) by e-mail to: email@example.com.
You can find the full job offer here.