The Faculty of Social Sciences and Philosophy, Institute of Communication and Media Studies, Chair of Media and Communication Studies seeks to fill the above position from 1 November 2022 (subject to the release of funds).
The position is advertised in the project “Automating Welfare: Algorithmic Infrastructures for Human Flourishing in Europe”. The three-year project, funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), in collaboration with European project partners, aims at a comparative analysis of the automated allocation of social benefits in different European welfare systems in order to investigate the impact of algorithms and artificial intelligence on the future of European citizens and societies.
About the position
- Fixed term of 3 years
- 50 % of a full-time position
- Planned remuneration: salary group 13 TV-L
- Scientific collaboration in the project “Automating Welfare: Algorithmic Infrastructures for Human Flourishing in Europe” in the Chanse funding framework “Transformations: Social and cultural dynamics in the digital age” (Project leader: Prof. Dr. Christian Pentzold)
- Personal academic qualification (doctorate)
- Implementation, documentation and evaluation of ethnographic field research, interviews and document analyses in Italy
- Implementation, documentation and evaluation of Italian-language workshops with citizens in the field of automation and welfare state.
- Preparation of the data obtained for further use in the overall project
- Organization of scientific workshops and events (in Italian and English)
- Contribution to presentations, lectures and publications (English language)
- Participation in other activities relevant to the project
- A completed academic university degree (diploma, master’s degree, state examination) in the field of communication science, media science, social science, sociology, political science, cultural studies or a comparable discipline
- Very good knowledge in the field of qualitative social research
- Proficiency in Italian and English (German desirable)
- Knowledge in the areas of automation, datafication and welfare state/social state is desirable
- Experience in interdisciplinary work and project experience are desirable
- Reliable and independent way of working, strong decision-making skills
- Very good presentation skills
- Very good teamwork, moderation and communication skills
- Knowledge of a programming language (e.g., Python) for data analysis or experience in the field of qualitative survey and evaluation methods (ideally with MAXQDA) would be an advantage
Application deadline: 24 August 2022
You can find more information here.