The Department of Anthropology and Cultural Research at the University of Bremen invites applications – under the condition of job release –for TWO scientific positions in the field of MARITIME ANTHROPOLOGY AND CULTURES OF WATER.
PhD candidates (m/f/d)
salary level 13 TV-L (50 %),
start date: as soon as possible,
reference number: A187/22
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL BE WORKING WITH PROF. DR. ANDREA MUEHLEBACH AND EMPLOYED FOR A PERIOD OF THREE YEARS. THE GOAL IS TO OBTAIN A DOCTORATE WITHIN THIS TIMEFRAME.
Employment is fixed-term and governed by the Act of Academic Fixed-Term Contract, §2 (1) (Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz –WissZeitVG). Candidates will be considered if they have the respective qualification periods available in accordance with § 2 (1) WissZeitVG.
The two PhD candidates (f/m/d) will be employed as doctoral researchers (50% each) with the focus on “OCEAN WORLDS, MARITIME ANTHROPOLOGY FROM THE VANTAGE POINT OF THE GLOBAL SOUTH, DECOLONIAL OCEAN STUDIES, MARITIME FEMINIST DECOLONIAL STS, HYDROCOLONIALISM AND WATER DEMOCRACY, THE POLITICS OF WATER IN THE MIDDLE EAST.”
The position involves the following duties:
- implementation of a doctoral project in the thematic fields of “OCEAN WORLDS, MARITIME ANTHROPOLOGY FROM THE VANTAGE POINT OF THE GLOBAL SOUTH, DECOLONIAL OCEAN STUDIES, MARITIME FEMINIST DECOLONIAL STS, HYDROCOLONIALISM AND WATER DEMOCRACY, POLITICS OF WATER IN THE MIDDLE EAST”
- co-organizing events/seminars that lie within the scope of the professorship Maritime Anthropology and Cultures of Water.
- support with third-party funding applications in the thematic field of Maritime Ethnology and Cultures of Water
- teaching BA Cultural Studies and MATS (MA Transcultural Studies); teaching duties according to LVNV
- participation in academic self-administration
- above-average academic university degree (usually a 2-year Master’s degree) in social and cultural anthropology
- technical and methodological knowledge and research experience in ethnography
- prior technical knowledge is ideal, including data management, web design and podcasting
- high level of commitment and initiative, reliable work ethic, ability to work in a team, good communication skills, excellent English skills are expected
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS:
- a two-page brief description of your own PhD project with regard to content and methodology
- a one- to two-page letter of motivation explaining how your profile fits into the research focus of the proposed project
- usual documents (curriculum vitae, copies of your academic credentials and certificates)
- a writing sample (publications)
- the names of two reviewers who can assess your previous scientific expertise
Inquiries should be sent electronically to Prof. Dr. Andrea Muehlebach: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your application, quoting the reference numberA187/22 by 18.07.2022 as a Pdf Document to TANJA.STEHN@VW.UNI-BREMEN.DE
The University is committed to a policy of gender equality for employment opportunities. Women are encouraged to apply for the offered positions. Persons with disabilities will be considered preferentially in case of equal qualifications and aptitudes. The University of Bremen also explicitly invites persons with a migration background to apply.