Job: PhD (60%), Zürich
PhD position (fixed-term)
in the fields of philosophy, theology and gender studies on ethical questions of reproductive medicine, 60 %
The University Research Priority Program (URPP) “Human Reproduction Reloaded” will explore, as of January 1, 2021 and for maximum 8 years, the rapidly changing medical technology on human reproduction. As part of the strategic orientation of the research conducted at the University of Zurich, this program aims at researching and analyzing the societal impacts and legal implications of human reproduction. This interdisciplinary positioned URPP brings together researchers from six faculties as well as from various disciplines from the humanities, social, medical and natural sciences. A central concern of the URPP is the promotion of young researchers in this field, which is why several PhD positions are available in various fields of the social sciences and humanities.
For more information on the topic and the organization, see a short summary of the URPP available via the following link: URPP.
For more information on topics in the social sciences and humanities, please click here: SP 1 Link
- You write a doctoral thesis on ethical and/or social aspects in the field of philosophy, theology or gender studies on research questions related to the increasing medicalisation of human reproduction or, in particular, the use of genome editing in the context of reproductive medicine and questions of human genetics.
- You participate in the URPP’s events and actively take advantage of the opportunities for interdisciplinary exchange and interfaculty networking.
- You are able and willing to apply for a third-party-funding for your PhD thesis after a two-year period.
- You hold an excellent degree in the field of philosophy, theology or gender studies, whereby connections between these fields are of particular interest.
- You are interested in researching ethical questions of human reproduction, namely the new or future possibilities of medical control and human genetics. If possible, you are able to show your interest with a corresponding preliminary draft, project outline, or at least by considerations regarding a concrete question in this field.
- You are able to work in an interdisciplinary and international team; you master both German and English as scientific and working languages; additional language skills, especially in Swiss national languages, are an advantage.
- You are able to work independently, fast, and under pressure.
What we offer
- Focus on the PhD project and regular feedback from qualified peers and experts from the various fields involved.
- A stimulating environment with the highest level of expertise from all areas related to the research question as well as excellent opportunities for networking with both experts and the public.
- Attractive employment conditions (SNF conditions, limited to 3 years), including flexible working hours.
Place of work
University of Zurich, Faculty of Law or an institute of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences or Faculty of Theology at the Center for Ethics, depending on the subject classification of the project.
Start of Employment
For the next possible date by agreement between supervisors and applicants.
Please submit your application documents by April 11, 2021, exclusively electronically and in a single PDF document or click on the “Apply now” button.
Should you have any questions, please contact
Prof. Dr. Michael Coors, Theology, Tel. +41 (0)78 600 94 93, or
Prof. Dr. Peter Schaber, Philosophy, Tel. +41 (0)44 63 4 85 26
Apply on: https://jobs.uzh.ch/offene-stellen/phd-position-fixed-term-in-the-fields-of-philosophy-theology-and-gender-studies-on-ethical-questions-of-reproductive-medicine/e6cfcffe-1c7b-401a-9e37-f6b31f280091